Extended Learning Opportunities
The opportunity for students in grades 10-12 to spend a day or part of a day observing daily work tasks with an individual in his/her place of employment to learn more about the career of interest. Job Shadows are typically 4-10 hours.
Work Based Experiences - Unpaid Internship
The opportunity designed to provide students valuable unpaid work experience by learning the ropes from experienced professionals. State rules stipulate that the student shall:
- Not displace regular employees at the unpaid experiential learning work site.
- Not necessarily be entitled to employment at the conclusion of the experience.
- Agree that a maximum 120 hours will be permitted for the experience. Academic credit may be awarded if requirements are met.
Job Experiences (Paid Employment)
The opportunity to place students with real-world experiences in an actual job, paid employment. If your business has an opening for paid student employees to mentor, we will help you find a student with appropriate skills and interest.
These experiential learning experiences aim to provide students with opportunities to:
- Investigate a career area or occupation to help discover whether it is a good match
- Gain real-world work experience and skills
- Gain valuable experiences that will be useful to list on college applications and resumes
- Understand how their future can be impacted by what they accomplish now in school
- Research what they must know and be able to do to succeed in a particular field
- Learn what they can expect with regard to wages and employment potential
- Make contacts in the field of their interest
- Develop career competencies and soft skills